понедельник, 19 ноября 2012 г.

So clearly not everyone can be enamoured of the city, and just as well too. There are plenty of othe


To put it another way, I really enjoy going to Paris, but if someone (with an evidently incredible power over my life) told me tomorrow that I'd never be able to go back, I wouldn't actually be that bothered.
hotels in cork ireland What does bother me is that I can't work out why. I've been literally dozens of times, from long stays to day trips, high end to low end and everything in between. I've done the big sights, the small sites and off the beaten track. Spring, summer, autumn and winter in every type of weather.
We even christened (well it was a parrainage republicain for any fellow heathens out there) our first-born child there - as his 'godmother' was living there at the time - but it just never gets its hooks into me the same way other cities do.
I think you should live with it. I like Paris but LOVE all the little places we have found in France, hotels in cork ireland I prefer the time that the French will give you to discuss things ourside Paris. I used to go on a lot of bike rides through the country and I've whiled away 15 minutes chatting to the baker or the cheesemonger talking about their products and discussing the political and industrial situation which is so rare in Paris. I also think the countryside of France is one of the inspirational things hotels in cork ireland about the countryside, and apart from one little vinyard there is no wine made in Paris.
I have been to Paris so many times ( easy, living 3hr TGV ride away) and enjoy it a lot, museums, architecture, general atmosphere, food, shopping, etc but I'm not in love with it. But I don't ask myself why and I wonder why you have to. I do have a stronger feeling (close to love?) about Venice and Prague.
So clearly not everyone can be enamoured of the city, and just as well too. There are plenty of other lovely cities, and even better lovely towns and villages in the world, just waiting hotels in cork ireland to be discovered and loved by you, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Have you been elsewhere in France, not in cities but in small towns and villages and rural areas? hotels in cork ireland That's where we found our true love of France. Paris is fine and someday, when they'll no longer rent a car to us, we hope to stay in Paris again. But for the time being, we're in love with the quiet parts of France.
I feel the same way about London. Every time I go, I decide that I don't like it and I don't want to go back. But about every year or two, I go back anyway. I used to love Amsterdam, but now I feel about it the same way as London hotels in cork ireland -- except that I return there less often now.
I love France as a whole and have also travelled extensively throughout it, Europe and further afield. I love some other big, French cities (Lyon in particular), the rugged coastline of Brittany the sweeping hills of Provence and have a soft spot for odd little places hotels in cork ireland as well, La Ciotat anyone?
But somehow Paris always leaves me slightly cold. The rest of my family loves it. My sister lived there for a year, which allowed me to explore it in greater depth and yet, it doesn't excite me as I know it does others.
I feel the same way about San Francisco. Seeing the Golden Gate bridge for the first time was one of my Taj Mahal moments (in that it more than lives up to expectations) but the rest of the city I can take or leave. I travel there (and to Paris) regularly on business so will go back, but don't feel the surge of excitement that others clearly do.
I never feel as though any trip to Paris is 'wasted' which is why I'm finding it so hard to reconcile my feelings on it. I will take my children there (again and again) because I know it is a great city, and know that their lives will be richer for having visited it (as will mine), but we've got places on our 'to do' list that I'm so much more excited about.
Well I see nothing wrong with not being in love with Paris, I am of course, but I get that its not for everyone. Sometimes its quite simple, you may not be a "big city" person, so while recognizing some of the big city benefits hotels in cork ireland like tons to see and do, you likely prefer hotels in cork ireland smaller cities and towns for vacationing( your comment about San Fransico is a bit of a tip off).
I have similar issues with places like Rome, sorry, not in love, even after 3 visits, I just consider ok, even when blown away by the history and sites( and yes, I would go again, but its not a huge priority for me)
I give everywhere a chance.. I never felt the pull to visit London, hotels in cork ireland until about 10 years ago I was offered free accomadation for a week, so off I went, figuring well I.m not out much ( just airline hotels in cork ireland ticket). Turns out I was wrong, hotels in cork ireland I loved London
Same with Spain, absolutely no desire to go, finally went this year as my bf desperately wanted to visit it, and I allowed hotels in cork ireland 6 days out of 26 days in Europe for the visit , once again, i was wrong, wish I had allowed alot more time, but interestly, I did not like Barcelona hotels in cork ireland at all, but loved the small town we spent most of our visit in .
These are the kinds of moments that even when they're happening, one knows that they're going to be memorable. The fact that it happened in Paris, makes the telling of the story more interesting hotels in cork ireland but for me doesn't make it any more special. I'm just trying to work out why that is..
London and New York are some of my favourite places on earth and having visited many other large cities, I am in fact a city person and am as happy (if not happier) holidaying in amongst hotels in cork ireland the dirt, grime and grit of a large city as I am in the country or on a beach in the Caribbean.
I grew up in the suburbs of London, but never went into Town. New York is not on the wish list either, nor Berlin, or Rome. I did, reluctantly, go to Barcelona. Can't say I'd rush back there again either.
I'm lucky enough to work in the 'creative industries' and as such have a boss who (and concept of work which) probably doesn't fit the standard mould. For this last trip to Paris, we left the UK on Wednesday morning, had completed our 'business' by 2pm and from then on out went to lunch, went drinking, had dinner, hotels in cork ireland drank some more, drank some more and then some more, before he flaked out.
I love Paris and LOndon but Rome and Brussels left me cold! I think we just like what we like. I'm not sure why I love London so much - maybe all the Agatha Christie books I read, maybe because I love the theatre there and the shopping and tea; Paris I find beautiful and romantic.
Why does one fall in love with one person and not another? I first visited Paris when I was 20 years old - I did not fall in love then, I was in love with Montpellier at the time as I was studying there. But when I returned almost 30 years later I definitely fell in love, and continue to visit every chance I get. I think being able to speak French hotels in cork ireland there is part of it. I fell in love with the French language and literature before I ever went to France. But really, there's just no accounting hotels in cork ireland for tastes, as they say. (Not in love with London, New York or Madrid, hotels in cork ireland but I love Barcelona too)
The activities described had little to do with Paris as such. Lunch and drinking could have taken place in London, Brussels, or any other major city (just for the presumably decent restaurant) in Europe.
Hi Bedar - I have a degree in French (language and literature) am married to Frenchwoman, am fluent in the language and travel to France hotels in cork ireland a minimum of twice a year (and have been pretty much since the age of 8) so I know that's not the issue either.
As for falling in love in Paris, I've been in love many times in Paris (even if on some occasions it was only for one night) and am now happily in love every time I go there, so that's not it either.
Michael - I understand your point, but the difference between lunch on a terrace in Paris (which I, and I know many others, adore) certainly beats eating my usual lunch at a cafe 'round the corner from my office in London. Some people travel to Paris expressly to eat out and see the nightlife. I'm lucky enough to have someone pay me to do that (on expenses) yet I don't get that tingle down my spine about the city I'm in. The food yes, the people yes, but Paris? Not so much.
Don't worry about it. I asked the same about Ireland some time back - don't even like it, decided I never will. Feel the same about Barcelona and NYC. Hated NYC first couple of visits, then grew to love it, but after more travel, really can't stand it except in Spring. Some places hit you hard and stick - others not. Everything/place can't be special to everybody.
Frankly, I think it is great not to love Paris or, like hetismij2, never wanting to set foot there. Paris has become overloaded with visitors hotels in cork ireland in the last 20 years. Most people still find it totally appealing, but they have no idea how nice it was 20 or 30 years ago when you never had to stand in line at the Louvre or Notre Dame, when you could have the Luxembourg gardens to yourself on a rainy day and when any hotel you selected still had rooms available.
Just spent one day in Paris (last Tuesday) and loved nearly every moment of it, although it was just for a one-day layover before an early morning flight. Had a WOW moment hotels in cork ireland in one room at the Marmottan, in a room full of Monet paintings. Stunning moment, just taking in all the colors and images for a moment, all the "Monet-ness" of it. The rest of the day was OK, lovely, lots of walking and bridges, and a nice dinner. But certainly not as thrilling as my very first visit.
My home and birthplace is in Sonoma County, California, about one hour north of San Francisco. hotels in cork ireland I vowed to myself when I was about 12 years old, that every single time I drive into SF from the north, I would take in the beautiful view of the GG Bridge and the skyline, and appreciate it. And I still do, and will, for as long as I can.
For this last trip to Paris, we left the UK on Wednesday morning, had completed our 'business' by 2pm and from then on out went to lunch, went drinking, had dinner, drank some more, drank some more and then some more, before he flaked out.
I REALLY hotels in cork ireland don't like Madrid. The first time I was there we tried to leave

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий