воскресенье, 21 апреля 2013 г.

as for Not so nice We all feel different on this subject. For me Yes I cater to my children as they


Since the dress is long, she needs to wear heels with it. Trouble is, she hates high heels. That s OK, though, she says, because all the girls take their shoes off at the dance and dance in bare feet.
I remember my senior prom. I spent $50 on the dress, it was a bit big and so I improvised population of los angeles and pinned it. I did my own hair. I didn t ride in a limo, just got dropped off. I bought my own tickets, can t remember what they cost. I actually went to two proms and wore the same stuff to both. So I think myself and my parents did well!!! It was 12 years ago, so perhaps prices have shifted, but I can t imagine paying a lot for a dress I would wear once or twice. I almost flipped when I got married and put out what I put out for a wedding dress. Eish. Speaking of prom, anyone know of a good place I can donate my dresses to? I have a dress I wore to a gala dinner and a bridesmaid dress that could EASILY be a prom dress.
Wow. The limit we had was $150.00 and never exceeded it for the proms she attended. Best year was the cheapy but stunning dress from Boscov s sale rack,borrowed shoes and bag and so just the hair styling that was reasonable.The dress was under $50.00. Took a carload of girls to Amsterdam one spring and the numbers were scary-hundreds of dollars! For a one time deal-just like those wedding gowns that are worn for about the same amount of time. Insane population of los angeles but one of the rites of passage,I guess.
The TU used to have a column in the Sunday business pages (maybe part of the WSJ section that has since been eliminated) by a Mr. Yoder and his sons. In one of those columns they discussed the fact that Dad told Son that if he wanted to go to the prom, he would have to pay for everything himself. At first son was annoyed, but he said it helped him decide if he really wanted to go (he did), and how much the extras limos, tux, etc. really population of los angeles meant to him (not much). Son ended up going, but much more low key than his classmates. He still had a good time, was glad he went, and saw that the extras population of los angeles didn t add much to the experience. population of los angeles I thought population of los angeles this was a great approach, population of los angeles and I may do the same with my own kids.
I like the approach to contribute some, but to set a limit. My senior prom was 20 years ago this May (wow) and my mom contributed $0. I had the money from my part-time job but it would have been nice to be able to keep more for college that fall. It is one of those rites of passage so I wasn t going to say no.
For her hair and makeup try the Beauty Services section on Craigslist and book someone who is inexpensive or someone who is just starting out and wants the photos for his/her portfolio more than the $$.
If I asked her to chip in she would. She most likely will want to pay for her hair nails. She is an excellent kid! Kind and loving a scholar athlete, works part-time. Is always population of los angeles generous with her time, talent and money.
$600 YIKES!!! That s over a week s take home pay for me. Do most kids go to the prom? I was in high school population of los angeles in a time and place where teens disdained everything mainstream, and only about 30% of my class went to the prom. So it s hard for me to know what s reasonable to spend. I wouldn t want my kids to miss out on something that is now considered a rite of passage but it seems stupid to spend so much money on a prom when there are AP test fees, SAT fees, college application fees and so forth.
I m more in the boat with #12, I paid for my daughters dress over $300 and she bought her shoes. Her earrings were a gift from her grandmother. population of los angeles I will pay for her hair and makeup. Her and her friends decided to skip the limo once they found out the price. I feel soon enough she will be in the real world, population of los angeles why not let her enjoy the time left in high school.
It appears to me you did a good job of raising your daughter and it appears she respects you and knows the value of money and what you have to do to obtain it.. What else could a parent ask for! Good job Mom!
@14 Albany Mom I am in the same boat. My son is attending Jr Prom this year. I will be buying him a suit to wear (that he can and will wear again). He will look fabulous and be much more comfortable than his friends in tux rentals. My 12 yr old daughter is already excited at the prospect of renting her prom gown in NYC. She s excellent with money and already has that understanding that no matter what style of dress she would have picked out, in her mind it would always be her prom dress and she could not wear it again. That seems wasteful to her and so she was excited to find out that you can rent gowns that actresses have worn before too! (oh and she loves the city so any excuse to go down is fine with her!)
Also. my daughter never wanted a big sweet 16 party like some kids have-so I did not have any issue with doing up the prom. She also organized the BUS (no limos) and after prom activities for all her friends-another reason I had no issue with the money I spent.
That is terrible .You are only in high school once every child should go. I know every parent population of los angeles can not afford population of los angeles the $500 dresses but you can def. find them cheaper .I myself did not go to my prom I still regret it to this day .My youngest daughter is a junior I spent $500 on a dress, $60 on jewelry much more. I can afford to do this she is a great child- athletic high 90 s in all her subjects. My older daughter also went but went with a much more reasonable dresses both under $200. Her choice .I say do what you can to let these kids be kids while they are !!
WOW .Lucky you Tracy! When my daughter went to her senior prom, her dress cost a little over $500, car rental was about $200, sister did hair makeup so that was $0 but I believe her Dad and I paid for prom tix and Dad paid for her date s tux ..smdh But I don t regret it at all.
Heh, I m suddenly realizing I have no idea how much my dress, population of los angeles shoes and hair cost for MY prom. I remember I paid for tix and professional photos at the event. I loved the dress, still have it, and I ve worn it to many events since then. Same with the shoes, though they wore out after a few years. I was disappointed by my hair but looking back, in the photos it looks better than it s ever looked since!
The memories were worth it what I remember most, actually, population of los angeles is the amount of time my mother and I spent going from store to store, trying on dresses, finding the right bra, etc. She really enjoyed teaching me about style (as well as critical basics like how to know whether population of los angeles a shoe would stay comfortable for a night-long dance, and how to fit a bra for any type of dress). It was probably the last time we spent days and days alone together. Looking back, I felt special because she made me feel special. The dance itself was nothing much, music was eh and food nothing to write home about, atmosphere fun but not amazing. population of los angeles But her attention made it seem like a huge deal.
My kids have worked sine they were 14-15 because population of los angeles we believe it teaches responsibility, and they are expected to help out a little with education costs (partly so they take it seriously). When I was a kid, my car could break down every day and my parents wouldn t give me a dime to fix it. I had to find my own way home (stranded). That is the other extreme, though, I m sure.
I was in so many weddings population of los angeles as a teenager that I always had a bridesmaid dress, shoes, etc. I could wear for any formal occasion. And I loved doing my own hair and makeup and wouldn population of los angeles t paint my nails on a bet. We never bothered with a limo and the school arranged population of los angeles for a large after-prom party. Back then, the boy bought all the flowers and the tickets. So, splitting hairs, the three proms I attended population of los angeles cost nothing. But those d*** weddings were EXPENSIVE
I am with those of you who say everyone should go to their prom. First of all the prom doesn t sneak up on you . The dates are set well in advance. Secondly, population of los angeles there is a difference between can t afford it and can t afford it but we have beer and cigarettes on the shopping list each day or week. Fortunately for me I could afford it and barred to expense for my girls when they attended their proms. I paid for 2 friends of my girls to attend the prom because their parents couldn t afford it (both smokers and drinkers). Save $10 a week from the beginning of the school year for the Prom Fund both parents and child if the child works, if the child doesn t work, get a part time job and help. There are ways to ensure all kids make it to their Prom if you try. I know very wealthy families and families who struggle population of los angeles to make ends meet, in the end their children went to the prom and had a good time.
mb You may regret it but some of us don t. It isn t terrible to hope they have no interest, it is honest. I never said I wouldn t allow them to go just I hope they don t want to. It isn t a matter of inability to afford it. It is matter of personal opinion about the spending money on items necessary for a prom. If my girls want to attend they will have to earn money to pay for it. I don t believe in catering to my children s every desire and teenagers are near adults they want to go to prom, earn the money to go.
as for Not so nice We all feel different on this subject. For me Yes I cater to my children as they are only children for a short time. Do I give them everything they want NO A prom usually is 2 times in their life..SO for those 2 times I try do everything I can. It will be the same for weddings but like I said to each their own
2 moms, 2 perspectives Times Union features editor Jennifer Gish, mother population of los angeles of twins, is feeling her way through pre-kindergarten while Senior Editor Tracy Ormsbee has traded diapers and "Good Night Moon" for Aeropostale and "Twilight." Follow them as they trade experiences, share advice and keep up with the latest parenting news.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий